*under construction*


12 March 2009

Behind the Scenes

Painters we are not
-- not house painters, anyway.
...or at least not fast ones, at any rate.
It's been 6 months (can you believe it?) since we moved in, and the exterior still isn't finished. The massive repairs got to us - we went at it full throttle, with the high bar of perfection in all that we were doing, and did the best we could before life started interfering and chipping away at the limited time that we have.

We've still been working on the exterior when time, weather, and temperature allow - but I admit, it's been slow going, and I've been less than motivated lately to climb back up on that ladder. We've run into some plumbing and electrical problems that have taken our time and attention. Stucco repair has been the other biggest slow down -- that and my distractions -- to start on other, more fun projects -- so now I have quite a few 'started but not finished' things around me...

I've been kinder to myself and realize that it's more about progress rather than the perfection I was always seeking and only accepting; but the pendulum has swung a little too far in the opposite direction, and we haven't been as focused as I'd like lately, nor doing enough of the 'grunt work' around here as we should be doing. The never-ending rain didn't help, and exhaustion has a funny way of talking you out of things...

So with the recent perfect weather and temperatures prime for outdoor painting, we've dug deep and are rededicated to pushing through this last leg and "get 'er done". It will feel good to get it off the massive list of things to do - so ... progress photos by the end of the weekend on the exterior painting of Museville.
I promise.

Art by Vivi Mari

13 comments:

Ness Lockyer said...

I hear ya girl! We are 'over it' the outside painting I mean. And as always I have about 4 different fun jobs going on. I really need to finish them too. Can't wait for your progress report.
Ness xx

Unknown said...

Congratulations on sticking with it, no matter how tedious and overwhelming.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

You'll do it and it'll be such a relief! Good work Isa...can't wait to see results. We are doing some tearing apart now...and I say Uggh. Again? In a weak voice.

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

It's a BIG job, but just keep going on that painting - just think of how great it will all look when it's done. And you get to show all of us the end product! Just think of all of us here, in suspense :)

Country French Antiques said...

I think you just described me!
Glad I have company and can't wait to see your finished paint job!

Miss Kris said...

Isa~It's so tedious but I put on some tunes and a bit later, VOILA! Fineesshed!!! I am one of those {CRAZIES} that find peace in painting.

I can't wait to all the finished photos, how exciting!!!

Blue Muse said...

The painting itself is ok, I don't mind it, and like Miss Kris, find some peace in it -- but we don't just get to paint the outside ... it's an 80 year old house, and it was terribly neglected, so there are layers of paint to be sanded, enormous amounts of repair - getting to the places above the pergolas (3 of them!) by having to do this work and paint laying down on the roof... eek, now I'm talking myself out of it again - I better get out there, and like "Nike" JUST DO IT! Rar!
xo Isa

a quiet life said...

non stop work is just dull, there, i said it! i have 20 years of unfinished projects all around me, and the finished ones in dire need of redoing now. perfection is the dangling carrot on the cart, just enjoy the path, take in the scenery along the way~

Tessa said...

Gawk! What an absolutely stunning blog....I'm off to explore some more of your postings and paintings and writings. (I got here via the lovely A Thousand Clapping Hands..and, boy, I'm SO glad I did!)

Helen said...

Love the artwork that compliments your words today ...... don't know if it applies, but doing the last of the hard work may be like birthing a baby ... just that last hard push?

vicki archer said...

It will be worth it Isa, just tell yourself that when you are overtired and longing to stop, xv.

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

J'ADORE your blog..:)
sorry, missed out a letter in previous comment