*under construction*


27 October 2009

Search for the Great Pumpkin

Late. It's my claim to fame since taking on Museville. So, 4 days before Halloween, I take on the task of digging through the shed - the shed that is the temporary dumping ground for things that have no permanent place yet - to find all of my Halloween goodies.
Meet Edgar.



Isn't he fabulous? He smells like candy, too. I bought him online year before last, and I kept him up through Christmas because I loved him so much -- everyone though I was nuts, but I just couldn't put him away nor stop smelling him. The woman who made him doused him in a spray of candy scented fragrance, and I cannot tell you how unbelievably good he smelled - like a childhood candy shop!

Well, he put me in the Halloween mood - so I grabbed the dogs and royal sonshine and we headed out to Valley Center. Destination - Bates Nut Farm.




I always forget just how beautiful it is out in Valley Center. It's amazing - you can drive 30 minutes in any direction from where I live (well, not west, because after a few blocks from Museville you'll end up in the Pacific Ocean) and be in a completely other world.



Bates Nut Farm used to be a walnut farm long ago, but now it's a really cute farm with a general store full of old fashioned goodness. It's a seasonal must visit - with the pumpkin patches, the Christmas tree acreage where you can cut down your own tree, hay rides, petting zoo, hay mazes - the works. We've been coming here for trees, garland, pumpkins and goodies since royal sonshine was a toddler. It's a great time for the little ones.



They cut the pumpkins from the vines for easy transport - all you have to do is pick out your favorite...



Or favorites! They have squash, and corn stalks - everything you would think a farm would have. I'm so glad I made the trek. I needed to get away and just settle into the simple things - a gorgeous day, a gorgeous drive - and the biggest decision was what pumpkin to pick up. A nice change for the chaos.
Very nice.



Now I just have to decide what exactly I'm going to do with these 12 pumpkins. Yes, I said 12. Big, small, orange, white and some in between.

SO what did you do (or if you are a procrastinator like me this year, "going to do") with your pumpkins this year?



Here are a few inspirations I ran across... I absolutely love this:



...and this



This is right up my alley - simple and beautiful. I have these urns, too ... somewhere.



Mums look awfully good in a pumpkin - maybe I'll have time to do this quick and pretty planter...



How cute is Max?



Do you have big plans?



Show and tell.
xo Isa

19 comments:

Unknown said...

love your Halloween pics! I just decorated myself yesterday. Not much planned, kinda low key this year. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!
Karen

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Edgar!!! I would leave him out YEAR ROUND!! Seriously!! He IS that cute!

Pumpkins are gorgeous! Photos fab!!

Lou Cinda :)

Unknown said...

Hi Isa!! Fabulous pics my friend! I simply adore that white pumpkin with the stencil on it, seems like that might actually be easier than carving!! That farm is stunningly beautiufl...glad you got to go...

:) T

cathyswatercolors said...

Love this, as I do all of your posts. Thank you I really needed the smile...

Deborah said...

I am so crushin' on Edgar! Love him! Fabulous photos...it truly is beautiful in your part of the world. Think you already saw my Martha pumpkins at the blog party. Have to run and figure out how to make my own little Edgar. **happy smiles** Deb

Isa said...

Deborah, I can send you close up photos, and he's just a baluster underneath with a big wooden ball finial (his head)

I named him... I'm seriously crushin on him, too.

xo Isa

niartist said...

Oh TWIN!!! I love EDGAR! Edgar and Earl should hook up! LOL!! Gorgeous photos. You know my pumpkins are carved with my house letters. I lurve it! :)

bikim said...

Love the pumpkin ideas. Gorgeous!!
Thanks for the sharing.
night night,
Rosa

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Love the Halloween pics...my favorites are the last two!!!

Helen said...

I'll have my pumpkins in Ohio this year but would love to stuff Edgar in my luggage! Wouldn't he make a great addition to the party?

a quiet life said...

oh how i love your pics! i love love love fall, the country never looks so good to me as when pumpkins, apples, poms, corn, sunflowers and persimmons all collide together with reds, org and yellow. lucky you when you head west its all blue... egdar is super, and to think tasty too! ~happy halloweenie to you~

Anonymous said...

Isa, jag älskar Din blogg väldigt väldigt mycket or I love love your blog very much!

Agneta

Velva said...

Just beautiful! I enjoyed the photo journey.

Greet Lefèvre said...

The view of Valley Center is gorgeous!!

Greet

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ooooh I am loving all of those pumpkins...and Edgar may like to meet our Ophelia who I just let out of the camera (eeek) in my latest post...she's a doozie! He looks sweet at least!

Princess Crystal said...

Those are great ideas!
I love the one with the branches and fireflies carved into it.

I don't think I will be carving a pumpkin this year since I will be away for the weekend, headed to a Halloween party. But these are great ideas for next year ^.^

Angie Muresan said...

Max is super cute!

From the Old InkWell said...

Happy Fall to you! I came over from Food with Style and I'm so happy to have found your blog! I love Edgar and if you don't mind I might create my version of him for my front porch. Again, love your blog!

Espresso said...

This photo is fantastic! :D