*under construction*


12 January 2010

The winter comes; I walk alone.
I want no birds to sing.
For those who keep their heart their own,
The winter is the spring. --John Clare



I really, really wish I liked the cold, because the gifts of winter are so beautiful to me. If I could stand the frigid temperatures, I'd spend hours on end walking through the enchanted woods and along beaches sprinkled in snow. I love the barren tree branches and the delicate hues that were once Spring's most vibrant, now faded into a glorious time worn treasure.


The beaches of my East coast childhood closed down in winter - all the tourists went home and the chilly shores were left to locals and fishermen. It was lovely -- in theory, in aesthetics and in its loneliness. But in physical comfort - it was miserable. Try as I might - I just cannot make myself be anywhere near the cold.

So instead, I will forever enjoy the chill of winter and the beauty it brings from afar --



From my little piece of heaven that is sunny and mild in the dead winter - outside in my shorts, with my coffee, sitting at a table in the yard. From there I will enjoy the other side of winter and the icy beauty from the pages of books and postcards sent from cold friends and relatives.

There is always the possibility of a happy solution, and in some cases, you can have it all.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

I am right there with you, enjoying our high in the 70's today! The only time I didn't mind the cold was while skiing...at least I was dressed for it! **blows kisses** Deb

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Blue Muse, I love that name :)
I lived in 'sunny through the winter Florida' since I was a kid so I know just what you mean. Now that I moved to Paris I've had to learn to live with cold and even snow (gasp). I had no winter clothes to speak of and I nearly froze - oh the things we do for love! I met my honey here, so it is perfectly okay inspite of the temps.
Sorry to ramble on. Enjoy your sunshine this week!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh my what a Provençal type photo to me:)

It looks like little secret gardens outside of stone medieval towns I saw:) Gorgeous..

I have never seen the ocean clothed in a blanket of snow.I think I would positively love it!

Jojo said...

What a positive spin you put on winter. We had snow last week and the one thing I did notice was that once it snowed, our neighborhood took on a quiet stillness in the evening. That was beautiful

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Isa
Well you know as a child I preferred winter to summer. But I find as I get older... i'd rather banish winter all together maybe just something to visit now and then... a ski trip with snow.. hehe..

Beautiful images and the poem is quite profound. Simple but profound... have a great day and thanks for visiting over my way.. it's always a delight to see you.. xxx Julie

donna baker said...

I would love to live where it's warm year round. I can visit cold places if I choose which I wouldn't. It causes me anxiety and I don't like being cold.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Perfectly said...perfectly lived!

Tara Dillard said...

You seduced me with your furniture on the lawn, conifers, just the whole package.

Ha, so much I posted about it today, using the last pic in your post.

Wish I could walk your garden with you. Enjoying your blog as a fabulous substitute.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara