*under construction*


12 January 2010

The winter comes; I walk alone.
I want no birds to sing.
For those who keep their heart their own,
The winter is the spring. --John Clare



I really, really wish I liked the cold, because the gifts of winter are so beautiful to me. If I could stand the frigid temperatures, I'd spend hours on end walking through the enchanted woods and along beaches sprinkled in snow. I love the barren tree branches and the delicate hues that were once Spring's most vibrant, now faded into a glorious time worn treasure.


The beaches of my East coast childhood closed down in winter - all the tourists went home and the chilly shores were left to locals and fishermen. It was lovely -- in theory, in aesthetics and in its loneliness. But in physical comfort - it was miserable. Try as I might - I just cannot make myself be anywhere near the cold.

So instead, I will forever enjoy the chill of winter and the beauty it brings from afar --



From my little piece of heaven that is sunny and mild in the dead winter - outside in my shorts, with my coffee, sitting at a table in the yard. From there I will enjoy the other side of winter and the icy beauty from the pages of books and postcards sent from cold friends and relatives.

There is always the possibility of a happy solution, and in some cases, you can have it all.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

I am right there with you, enjoying our high in the 70's today! The only time I didn't mind the cold was while skiing...at least I was dressed for it! **blows kisses** Deb

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Blue Muse, I love that name :)
I lived in 'sunny through the winter Florida' since I was a kid so I know just what you mean. Now that I moved to Paris I've had to learn to live with cold and even snow (gasp). I had no winter clothes to speak of and I nearly froze - oh the things we do for love! I met my honey here, so it is perfectly okay inspite of the temps.
Sorry to ramble on. Enjoy your sunshine this week!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh my what a Provençal type photo to me:)

It looks like little secret gardens outside of stone medieval towns I saw:) Gorgeous..

I have never seen the ocean clothed in a blanket of snow.I think I would positively love it!

Jojo said...

What a positive spin you put on winter. We had snow last week and the one thing I did notice was that once it snowed, our neighborhood took on a quiet stillness in the evening. That was beautiful

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Isa
Well you know as a child I preferred winter to summer. But I find as I get older... i'd rather banish winter all together maybe just something to visit now and then... a ski trip with snow.. hehe..

Beautiful images and the poem is quite profound. Simple but profound... have a great day and thanks for visiting over my way.. it's always a delight to see you.. xxx Julie

donna baker said...

I would love to live where it's warm year round. I can visit cold places if I choose which I wouldn't. It causes me anxiety and I don't like being cold.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Perfectly said...perfectly lived!

Tara Dillard said...

You seduced me with your furniture on the lawn, conifers, just the whole package.

Ha, so much I posted about it today, using the last pic in your post.

Wish I could walk your garden with you. Enjoying your blog as a fabulous substitute.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara