*under construction*


16 October 2009

12th Century Perfection

Tucked beautifully in a valley of Provence, famed for its lavender fields, lies the stunning Cistercian Abbey of Senanque. When I saw this, it literally took my breath away - and selfishly, the first thought in my mind was, "I would love to turn this into a house! ... MY house!"


Founded in 1148, The austere and harmonious church, built in the Romanesque style, was consecrated in 1178.



Standing in silent vigil over the lavender and wheat fields, just as it did when it was built -- almost 1000 years ago. (Did you just hear my heart pound?!) That is truly almost unimaginable to me -- and so normal there -- to live among things so beautiful, so ancient, laden with such history... I long for that to be my every day world so badly that my heart literally aches.



Here you see the South facade of the abbey, the main facade of the abbey church is unusual in having no main portal, but it perfectly reflects the Cistercian ideal of modesty and simplicity.



View of the abbey church (built c.1150-1200) from an elevated road along the east side. It's amazing, isn't it?


Two of my favorites -- Poppies and lavender sway in the gentle breezes -- perfuming the air and filling the senses.



Most definitely my idea of heaven on earth.


Mason's marks on the east (ecclesiastical south) arcade of the abbey church, built after 1180 -- It really says, future home of Isa... really.



Oh to dream...

Happy Weekend.
xo Isa

23 comments:

mimi charmante said...

absolutely stunning. can you imagine living there - roaming those halls, looking into each of your endless rooms?
to dream is right...
xx

Deborah said...

De-Lovely!

La Table De Nana said...

Your photos are so beautiful..It is my idea of paradise also..

I loved the old towns and villages in Provence..and could not even imagine living everyday in a home my great great great great grandmother had lived in.. in Ménerbes I met such a gracious lucky lady~ She was leaving her courtyard to go near La Mairie..and we talked..

But this place you showcase for us..w/ poppies and lavender..indeed.. a dream come true.How did I miss it?:)

vicki archer said...

You have wonderful taste Isa....it is a very beautiful place, xv.

Fifi Flowers said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS photos!!! I've got to get back to Paris and then head south!!!

Blue Muse said...

Take me with you, Fifi!
=)

Blue Muse said...

Vicki - if I moved in there, we'd be neighbors?

Marlene said...

Oh....Life is sooo diff there..I went to school in Europe so I was fortunate to live there and travel as students do thru many places.. I was always facinated with the old buildings...architectural design was inspiring when you think of how long these buildings stood the test of time..I would walk slowly thru them , imagineing and dream of living there... all that history...you can almost feel it surround you..when you touch those old walls..My friends would just roll thier eyes at me..none of them really were into that as I... Your pictures took me back...I could have lived there easily...a much simpler life..

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

I am so totally blown away with these pictures...it is truly my idea of heaven.....The sheer beauty and antiquity of it all...reminds me a bit of Lucca, Italy where we stayed a few nights last month...the building was built in 1200 and I was enveloped in stunningly beautiful stone walls and history for two blissful nights! I love your blog and am so glad you stopped by to say hi as now I am here! Have a great weekend....
Laura ;)

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Isa
What a glorious dream filled with romance and history. One could only imagine living in such beauty.
x Julie

cate said...

what a great privilege to be able to live in such a beautiful Abbey...stunning...& so is your blog...stunning!!!
:) Cate

savvycityfarmer said...

mornin' ... cityfarmer here ... I was truly touched by your thoughts and comments about the savvycityfarm sac™ pillows ... would you truly want them for retail?
PLEASE email ... we can talk business ! These are hot off my workroom, you would be the first order ... My heart is jumping with excitement.

joywaltmire@yahoo.com will wait to hear from you

p.s. YES, I'm off to dreamland to discover far away places... beautiful post

Anonymous said...

lovely & stunning....

agneta from swed... you know o;)

Helen said...

Oh Isa .... this is SO 'greyfreth!'

niartist said...

mmmmm. Let's pool our money together and make them an offer! You think they'll take $20?

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Sooo beautiful---it has some simple lines and it looks so wonderful where it is planted!

Angie Muresan said...

So very lovely, Isa. Wish your dreams come true and you get to live there.

Roeshel said...

Breathtaking! What a dream. Thank you for the tour. :)

Roeshel

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Isa, you always leave the best comments! What a beautiful place, I would so love to be there to see the beautiful countryside. Seeing it through your eyes is equally as good. Have a great week my friend, Theresa

Dragana said...

We stayed with friends in Venasque, a few miles from this Abbey. It is indeed beautiful, expecially when you approach it from the narrow, winding road above. We were able to experience mass one evening and the chanting added to the beauty and simplicity.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

You are right, faint worthy! So gorgeous, heaven on earth is right.
xo Lidy

The Antiques Diva™ said...

This is so dreamy!

Millie said...

Dreaming is good dear Sista - don't ever stop!
Millie ^_^